Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Teacher Tech: Magic Words

You’ve been taught that the magic words are please and thank you.  These are indeed effective, but teachers need more than just two magic words.  There are certain words that tap deep into a child’s brain and, if used, allow a teacher to be more effective.

Raise your hand if . . .
Many teachers will address the class and say something like, “Did everyone understand?”  or “Anyone remember what we did last time?”  Questions like these do not tell a student how to respond.  Students might wonder if they should call out the answer or raise a hand.  Also, think about the first question, there’s a certain amount a shame involved when admitting that you are not part of everyone.

Show me the correct way to . . .
Contrary to the way many students behave, they are actually hard-wired into wanting to please their mentors.  Not only that, but most children have a need to show-off to the mentor.  When you ask a student to Demonstrate the correct way to line up/pick up supplies/share with a partner, you are tapping into basic needs seated in a child’s brain.

Think about . . .
Think about what a student does during a lecture.  Does the student just open his brain and allow information in?  Kids are active creatures inside as well as outside.  One way to keep their attention during a lecture is to make sure you, the teacher, control the activity in their brain.  To do this, make your lecture active.  Tell your students what to do, think about, draw or write.  Use magic active words like: think about, imagine, picture in your mind, and so forth.

I would like you to . . .
Children can’t help but want to know what would please their teacher.  Some conduct disordered children want to know this so they can do the opposite, but most children just want to know.  When giving directions, use phrases like: I would like you to . . . , It would make me happy if . . .,  I want you to . . ., and so forth.  Be open about what you would like to see happen and what might not please you.  When a student does something counter to what you asked for, you can use phrases like, It makes me uncomfortable when . . ., It makes me unhappy when . . .

When I’m making an observation in a skilled teacher’s classroom, I’ll always hear more than just two magic words.

1 comment:

  1. Nice! I used all these today! My favorite was when I wanted my middle schoolers to quietly listen to a story. Instead of telling them not to interrupt, I said, "I want everyone to think about when they were in 1st grade and your teacher read the class a story... your teacher probably asked you not to interrupt because it ruined it for someone else. We are going to do the same thing today."

    ReplyDelete